5 Things That Make Me Happy
I’m back! Wes has written couple of blogs about the 5 things that make him happy, so I thought I’d give it a shot!
1) New Play Doh: Cece has finally stopped putting everything she plays with in her mouth. Therefore, we’ve started letting her play with Play Doh. She got a ton of it for Christmas this year. In playing with her, I realized how much a LOVE smooshing around newly opened Play Doh. I love the soft, malleable feeling of squishing it around. I like balling it up and then flattening it. I like smashing it down and cutting out shapes. It’s quite soothing as well.
2) Singing in the car: Fiona, Ani, Mariah, Whitney…these ladies have lovely voices, but none of them compares to me belting out one of their songs in the car. I’ve been a song singer since I was Cece’s age. My mom used to tell a story about me singing parts of “Never Gonna Let You Go” by Sergio Mendez (look it up…it’s awesome!). The chorus goes, “I’m never gonna let you go. I’m gonna hold you in my arms forever. Gonna try to make up for the times I hurt you so. Gonna hold your body close to mine. From this day on we’re gonna be together. Oh I swear this time, I’m never gonna let you go.” My parts were, “Go go go! So so so! Mine mine mine!” Wes will confirm that my ability to just sing the last word or so of certain songs is pretty great!
These days, my favorite album to rock out to in the car is Fiona Apple’s When the Pawn… I know just about every word for each of the songs and will sing them as loud and powerful as I can anytime I hear them, but especially while in the car. If I have a stressful day at work or just need to get a little frustration out, this is my go-to album.
3) Tea and a book: Before we had Cece, one of Wes and my favorite things to do on a Saturday and/or Sunday was to make some hot tea (or coffee for him) and sit on the couch reading for as long as we felt like. We would do this almost every weekend. Now, we don’t have this luxury. I definitely don’t read as much as I used to since I have so many other things that I need to do when Cece is napping or in bed for the evening. The few times that Wes and I have gotten away for a weekend by ourselves, we always make it a point to stop in a local coffee shop for some tea (or coffee for him) and some reading.
4) The Office: There are very few TV shows that I can watch over and over without getting sick of them. The Office is one of those shows. Whenever I am feeling stressed or in a bad mood, The Office is my favorite thing to watch. I can identify just about any episode with just a few words to describe it. I still cry at the scene when Jim interrupts Pam’s interview to ask her on a date. I still laugh at all of Jim’s pranks on Dwight. This show is just a classic!
5) The New Year: When I originally thought about writing this blog, it was right at the beginning of 2017. There is something about the fresh start of a new year. This applies to the calendar year and the school year. I always have such high hopes and aspirations for all that can be achieved in another year. I love how exciting the start of a new year can be!
One of my very favorite things to do is to start a new calendar. I put just about everything I do on my calendar. I’m a big planner, so setting up my calendar with even the most mundane details makes me happy.